Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Reading Louis L'amour and other exploits

So, there are a few things that bring me more pleasure than reading things that a) end well, b) have a familiar plot line c) have clear good/bad guys, and best yet d) you know that the good guy wins. Sad, I know. But I've always been a fan of simple. I think it stems from having such hefty doses of reality in life where bad wins as often as not, and ugly happens, and gets uglier... where people have crap lives, and where there's no end in sight for some of them... So, there. I like Louis. I also like Uncle Arthur's Bedtime stories. Donna Leon mysteries (although they often end in sorrow)and recently I've been trying to get my head around Bill Bryson's A short history of nearly everything... (or whatever it's called).

Anyway, I've given myself fifteen minutes to write this before I try and start writing PhD like things, where I use words like ecclesiology, eschatology and rubbish and mean them. It's been a really long week (does that sound familiar, I think I'm becoming like Eeyore). Some of that is because of people, and the sudden discovery that when people [me] take their eye off the ball, well, okay, maybe I mean Jesus, they [I] become quite petty. It's very difficult for me to elongate my patience, with myself, other people, and I'm finding that 'bitty' things are getting on my nerves - I honestly don't want to be preoccupied with little things, and I find myself thinking sometimes that if people [I] were involved in things that are bigger than themselves/ [myself] then the little things don't/ wouldn't seem to matter so much. In fact, it's a really odd phenomenon in my life: when I've had some kind of breakthrough, honest revelation, incredible moment, epiphany and so on, something infintisimally small creeps up and sucker punches me with the most incredible accuracy, right on my weakest spot and BHAM!!! I'm not who I should be. Argh. God grant me grace!

Read a book called The Great Emergence which has been really rated by some people. I was incredibly disappointed in it - found it superficial in its analysis, narrow in its focus and generally its thesis didn't grab me much. Neither Great, nor particularly helpful about emergence. And, it read a lot like Burke's A Heretic's guide to eternity which didn't really strike me as heretical, but reading it did seem like eternity. Ohh, I sound grumpy. Maybe I need some sugar (or fresh air).

On the other hand, I went to an Urban Expression hosted conference last week with Michael Frost as the speaker (of Exiles, etc) and REALLY was inspired. Some great stories, and really evocative about church. A British Billion miles away from Longsight in the kind of people-groups he encounters, but nevertheless really fascinating. Okay. Time's up. Back to my chapter. :-(

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's why High School Musical is so good. You know what you're going to get, innocent film script with a happy ending where everyone becomes friends. Brilliant.

12:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home