Friday, October 31, 2008

facebook fatigue and other stories

So - in my love/hate relationship with facebook, I'm off again. Although of course, you are (as I've discovered ) never really off No, facebook knows all about me. And you, and everyone you've ever met. My reasons for being off are really simple - I was discovering a lot of things about people that I didn't know - and more importantly, things about them that I didn't need to know. I like finding out about people face to face. I miss arranging to have coffee - but, for those who are in my life and close, I'm probably able to do that (drum roll please) in person For those far, far, far away -I'll probably cave and rejoin just to say hi every now and then. But for those of us who are friends, we're friends...

Anyway, we're dogsitting and have wifi... which makes it possible for me to do this and watch newsnight live. I'm being assaulted by Kirsty Wark's outfit, never mind the conversation. There are some really good things about radio.

I know, I sound Bah humbug and all that. I think it's because I've conceivably had the worst couple of weeks... topped off by a vain attempt on my part to get up, get going and WRITE, only to discover that my files were corrupted. On the bonus side: I've staved off a cold; been doing a little bit of detached on the estate near the church; held a five-day-old puppy; had two lovely friends send me coffee and chocolate; had coffee with others; resisted the urge to be outraged at the GMC [mercifully for some of you that will only relate to cars]; heard my dad give some great and thought-provoking lectures; and, unless something goes really wrong tomorrow I'll be able to be at the allotment for a good couple of hours.

So reading is all PhD focussed. Listening to Goldfrapp, Pocket Satellite and classical. Anxiously watching the US elections. Mourning with friends who've had difficult lives - death, burglaries, job, house loss...

Other good things [on church level] are that the church's allotment project is off/on the ground and we're part of a rolling night shelter for a small number of the destitute and homeless asylum seekers from November to March - (volunteers welcome at both :-0); and [on personal level] Andrew's been accepted for his PhD - though we still wait to see if there's funding...

Also, been watching with interest the implosion/ reforming of the emergent movement. Obviously significant for the last chapters of my never-likely-to-be-finished thesis. Tony Jones as the spokesman [sorry, coordinator] for emergent is gone, others are predicting the demise and still others are defending the whole shebang...

Well, Kirsty's bugging me, so I'm going to shut her off, and shut this down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home