Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The wideness of mercy...

I'm in a snowy place! I'd forgotten what it was like to hear the crunch of snow, and smell it in the air. And feel the crispness of it underfoot. It is beautiful - and pristine. I had a funny flashback experiece when I saw a half eaten apple tucked in a drift - shades of my brother leaving the apples from his lunch in a drift in Winnipeg, somehow thinking that they would vanish with the snow. Gotcha.

As I write this, I am just in from lunch at ENC with a lovely professor who is studying issues of identity - what a lovely and hospitable man. We chatted for ages, and talked especially about the appeal of anabaptism and the ideas of practicing peculiarity in community - it was good to think like that. He's writing his dissertation and drawing on Yoder, who I am fond of. I am knackered - woke up at 3am Boston time - argh. So - in a while I'll keep reading - I brought tonnes of books with me to get on with, in the meantime, I've got the news on and as I write there is a jury delivering a verdit on a man - whether to kill him or not. What a terrible, terrible thing. They have settled on 34 years without parole, I am glad.

It has been lovely to hear from people in the comments - thanks! And to hear such empathy! Why do we put ourselves through all this? Anyway, I am having fun thinking, [sometimes I don't] - and I can almost feel my brain stretching within me. It is so hard to keep in touch, isn't it? We are all stretched - but I hope that we are all also able to be holy in our learning to be un-busy.

Umm - apart from that not a lot else to say. Have been thinking about the diversity and plurality of holiness and what that means - and how to live widely and hopefully. Have also been thinking about why I am not keen on the church growth movement as marketing the church - and what it means to be part of an alive and organic community - I hope that I can figure things out soon. Also been thinking about weed - and its effects - and how terrible its impact is on the lives of people I love - and the abuse of alcohol and the terrible price paid by and for people who wrestle with that addiction. So - my brain is full!! Reading Rowan Williams, Tokens of Faith, and Diary of a Country priest, both of which are incredibly challenging. Also reading Coupland's 'The Gum thief'. I could swear he's in my head sometimes!

A good thing here: the trees are labelled - it is well cool, cause I can see what things are! I love it. I wish I knew them better at home - maybe it's a learning I can make.

So - not much else.... I love the title of Pinnock's book: A Wideness in God's Mercy - I would like to adopt it as a hermeneutic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home