Monday, April 23, 2007

a view of my mind

I have the mind of a flea. or a fruit fly. Something that leaps around a lot, goes no where very deep, and manages to create a lot of scratching.

Anyway, I have about five minutes before I head out to a Crosseyed Meeting - oh, I mean crossroads. I am knackered, having spent most of the day thinking about the Enlightenment. And no, I'm not. Enlightened, I mean.

Umm. Not much else to say. I've planted tomatoes, peas, and another rhubarb crown in the allotment, as well as a gooseberry bush called 'careless' (that's its real name, not one we've given it!) and we've cleared a heap of the rubbish (the usual: car doors, petrol cans, broken glass, asbestos sheets... you know, the tame stuff). I often feel a little sympathy for Spinoza and Baron D'Holbach, for the only way I can describe it is to say that for me nature gives me a real sense of the sacred. (I don't mean I completely agree with them, you understand).

Finished reading Jayber Crow. Wonderful, powerful, beautiful, faithful book.

Found this about the leading intellectuals of the eighteenth century in the press: they were “…habitually satirizing priests as perverts, friars as gluttons, monks and nuns as lechers, theologians as hair-splitters, inquisitors as sadistic torturers, and Popes as megalomaniacs.” I thought that it didn't sound all that different. Perhaps inquisitors would be called 'soldiers' and Popes, 'Prime ministers / Presidents' but apart from that.... (It's in Porter's The Enlightenment, p. 34)

Am thinking allot about weed again - just watching it swathe through lives and tear them apart. I think I can safely say I hate it.

(Wow, this post is really demonstrating my flea-like tendencies!).

Quote of my week:

Deirdre to Artum aged 8 in the church service: "What is your favourite thing?" Pause. Artum "God"... (Congregation: "ahhh")
Deirdre to Masha aged 4 in the church service: "What is your favourite thing?"
Pause. "Playing with Barbies...."
I love kids.

1 Comments:

Blogger Betty said...

FACT: Fruitflies are very prolific insects. They live for several weeks and just eat and breed. What a life (albeit a short one). Relevant to our conversation earlier (books) I think?

5:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home