Monday, April 30, 2007

On my lunch break


That can be read on so many levels.

So, today I am trying to write about the Enlightenment, but... while I take a break from the rationalists of the world, I thought I would post another photo. This one evoked emotion, seemed so sad, and so very much where I live. It is on an allotment door, a stone's throw away from our green and holy space. [It seems to juxtapose itself with part of my sermon from yesterday, where I tried to read a passage in reverse (an idea from another website from Australia, but I can't rememberr which one, it just sank into my spirit), in the hope that I would think about the 'forward' version differently]:


I am without a leader, my need is endless. I never have enough.
My want is endless.
Concrete surrounds me, and I get no rest;
I am aimless as I wander,
and the torrents surround and overwhelm me.
My soul is restless, empty, needy.
I take myself frantically in multiple directions,
trying to find a good way… my own reputation I make.
When I go through bad places, I jump at shadows, I am alone. So alone.
My enemies mock and laugh, and scorn me.
I am hungry, and thirsty, and untouched and alone.
Nothingness, No mercy, Un mercy surrounds me, I am alone… forever


I am really thankful for the mercy of The Forward version:

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside still waters;
he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of Death, I fear no evil;
for you are with me; your rod and your staff-- they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD my whole life long


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home