Friday, March 02, 2007

Twisted sisters.

I went out with Mum and Aunt Lorraine today for fun, we went to a very lovely cafe (kind of Chorlton flavoured if you're a Mancunian), and then to a shop called "Twisted Sisters" where my mum and aunt nearly lost the plot laughing very, very hard at the cards. That is a Taylor-girl speciality, and one of the few memories I have of my grandma Taylor. Collapsing with giggles in a shop - at times, to the point of having to leave! So, the best ones today were political: "someone should tell a village in Texas they've lost their idiot" and so on. Quite funny.

Then, I came home and met-up with my cousin for the first time in eight years. She is all grown up; married, with a baby. Lovely. It is eerily like looking at my aunt when I am around her (she probably thinks the same thing about me!). I was asking her about the medicare/ health insurance that she has, and her husband about his working life. So, the C-section she had cost over $6000, the hospital stay costs per day, and that is all a bit mad. But, she also had 6 weeks maternity leave, WITH NO PAY, and only a guarantee of a job at the end. That is ALL she is entitled to. On top of that Ian has two weeks off per year. (Oh, and five days holiday...) and no paternity leave. Wow. [I can't remember if I mentioned that a twelve year old died here recently of a toothache...No insurance etc.]

Umm. Let's see. I've met loads of lovely people the last couple of days -and encountered friends of friends... people who know people. A lady who is really good friends with our friends in California (Linda Zane, Steve); a couple of guys who know you, Geordan and Iulia! AND, various people who I've met before, but got to meet again.

The seminary community is very kind, caring - and encouraging. Each day in Chapel there were different pray-ers for the service, and for me. They were both lovely prayers and outward looking. The man who prepared the services had clearly thought deeply about it, and today there was a really clever power-point, that pulled words out 'mercy', 'goodness' and then found a way of drawing Scriptures in that emphasised those words. I was dead nervous every day, and realise that I am not very used to preaching without Andrew there, and he is always a rock and a good and gentle and honest critic.

There was a tornado in Alabama today, just now - and it has been lethal - how tragic, 18 people died, and some of them in a high-school. [Two tornadoes also in Kansas]. Nature's power is terrifyingly awesome. Something quite interesting is how accurately they can and do predict tornadoes, and yet cannot stop them. Does anyone else find that odd? This unstoppable power.

I am sad (in every sense of the word!): I don't know what is happening on Desperate Housewives... ! I was trying (probably badly!) to explain why I like it so much, and discovered that I think it is probably because it is story-familiar and (I admit) at points I find it quirkily funny! I am currently in Grandpa's chair [it is very comfy!], and he is flicking through channels (79), trying to find something to watch [oh, it's CSI. Nasty]! He is devoted to Wheel of Fortune, and Jeopardy! Quite funny.

Grandpa's chief engagement at the moment is writing his Memoirs. (pronounced meeemoirs :-)) I think that is great, since at the moment, I know bits and pieces of his life, but, he has lived through SO much, and in his older age has a new perspective on so much. It will also be good to learn more about my grandma. She died only three years ago, but was so ill with dementia for so long that I only have the very vaguest memories. Until this trip I didn't even know she could drive. Apparently she was also the king-pin in the family whilst my grandpa travelled. I wish that I had known her. I am glad that I'll have the opportunity to learn more of her. I do know that much of her character lives on in her daughters.

I bought a book today at 'The Half Price book store' by Annie Dillard, who is one of my favourite American Authors. It is a book about reading fiction, and I'll send it home with my mum and hopefully read it later on.

Of course, you are all wondering, with bated breath I"m sure, about my PhD... Well, tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow... Actually, I had always reserved this week as head-space, and still have managed to do some reading, so I feel ahead of the game! Me and Rousseau [JJ, not Lost] are managing to have serious disagreements about gender issues. Via Emile. Okay, going.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home