Wednesday, March 07, 2007

some things to think about

So. I've had better days. But still, am alive and kicking.

Iulia, why do you find it more difficult in the UK?

Here are a couple of the thought provoking statements of the day from my reading [see, I am at least reading!]: First, relating to Wesley's economic ethics: [in Discourse III, SoM].
Owe no one anything, provide for your family, and then lend or give away any surplus to the needy.

What do you think of that? Andrew and I have talked a lot about the issue of having 'more' and luxuries. It is a hard one I think. The desire to live simply, and not be driven by greed is very hard. And the multiple issues that impact on 'giving away'...

Then, another issue we think about a lot is the whole "working out" of your theology.

I stumbled across this:

Theory is the articulation of practice and good theory of good practice.
Moral debate is therefore not primarily between theories as such, but
rather between theories that afford expression to rival forms of practice.
And we do not understand any theory adequately until we’ve understood in
concrete detail the form of practice of which it’s an articulation.
Theory, when it is recognized to be the articulation of practice, enables
practice to be reflectively thoughtful and so to remedy what have been its
defects and limitations.
A. MacIntyre, 'The recovery of Moral Agency,’ Harvard Divinity Bulletin 2, no.4, (1999): 8

{incidentally, Ken Leech who I teach with at the college grew up knowing MacIntyre, which I think is interesting...}

So, onto thinking more about the defects and limitations of my/our practice.

Finally in today's news: "Lord, please forgive me for I have committed sins for our freedom" is causing enormous controversy amongst the right-wing ideologues.

More later

1 Comments:

Blogger iulia and geordan said...

I find it very difficult to live ‘well’ in an environment that is ambiguous. Let me explain:
There is so much ‘politik’ about injustice and apathy in Africa and third world nations….. what about what happens all over the UK on all of the estates?? That is JUST as unjust and apathetic!
So much said about racism (all lip service!). Speaking in a PC manner doesn’t seem to be doing anything to stop rioting, hate crimes (ex Jon and Anita, Tabitha and Charles), or deep racism and Asian marginalization. Living surrounding the Asian communities- but not really integrating with them.
Lip service about peace in the Middle East, but having troops in Iraq and giving loads of money to Israel.
Words about further education for all, but what child in our estates around Longsight is going to make it to Uni?
Where is the hope? The despair in this city is oppressive- it pulsates all around us! Why the British hang-up about upward mobility?? I don’t mean monetarily! I mean education, better eating, ability to walk in nature and get out of the slums, a better life- the kind that WE long to live. But does anyone want this?? Sometimes it doesn’t seem so.

In the States, all of these things are maybe WORSE- but the lines are clearly drawn. Nobody believes that these problems are going to be solved through our GOVERNMENT. As Christians, we realize the burden is on US. I can’t pass it off to my MP or the PM. I have to do it myself. Do you see that this makes it easier to ‘live apart.’ In a ‘dog eat dog’ culture, a little bit goes a very long way. It is easier to make an impact on people by a lifestyle which is not the ‘norm’. If I want something better for them- NO ONE is going to argue with me about that. They want it for themselves too – it is, after all, the American Dream. In Britian, improvement is a dirty word. (And why give the time of day to a silly Yank anyway?? What could I possibly have to say that they would want to take on board?)

Here, it is so much easier for me to fall into the trap of a government that speaks as though it has a conscious! The lines are blurred. Brits are ‘basically good people’. When tragedy happens in the world, they give. When issues arise, they march. When life requires stringency and self discipline, they queue and they ration! And there is A LOT of talk. Talk about world issues in the office, on talk radio, on the News. And yet, I feel that the situation is dire. But why does any Brit need anyone else telling them that there is more to this life? They are already made SO MUCH AWARE! They KNOW the issues, they hear about them ALL THE TIME. Where do I fall in to all of this? Do I jump onto the band wagon of all campaigns for human rights – throw myself into all Ecological/Conservationist Societies? Become a social worker? I am lost in an ocean of awareness for all possible issues. Living WELL is in many ways considered the ‘norm’ or at least the GOAL. WHAT IN OUR LIVES TURLY SET US APART?? I know a lot of GOOD people!

All of these things are GREAT, but I believe that there is so much more. In the States, just promoting these issues sets you apart- gives you an avenue for conversation, provokes thought and debate about THE ONE about whom all of this revolves (HE is why all this important to me- it is all integrated because of HIM)…

Here I am a little droplet in a tidal wave. My life- with MORE TALKING, MORE DEBATE, recycling, cooking from scratch, trying to by local/organic products, living frugally, giving of time and energy to causes I believe in – SO WHAT? Where is the big difference to anyone in my office? Why do they care? Why do they want to know??

This is my struggle. It may not touch you at all. I never found it such a struggle in the States, because these things WOULD and DID attract notice there – especially when done in community.

Please keep in mind this is just getting stuff on paper and not a dissertation!
Feel free to ‘get pastoral’ on me. Just my own wee thoughts…

12:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home