Friday, March 09, 2007

The Zone (no, not an exercise programme, or a diet)

I really love the XXX films - I don't know why really, they're mad, but I think that the scene from the first one with Vin Diesel out-racing an avalanche is hilarious. So - the other thing they have is this notion of 'the Xander zone.' Today, I've been in the Deirdre-Zone.

I imagine that a lot of people have this, where the entire space they inhabit becomes still, and everything shrinks to "this" project, "this" book, "this..." The only real problem that I can tell with all of this is that I find it incredible difficult to switch from The Zone to normalcy and (in all honesty) niceness. I come out of it on edge. Actually while I"m confessing this, I may as well disclose what is common knowledge anyway... I'm very similarly 'on edge' when I'm hungry. It is a Brower trait, and one that we seem to be unable to control: General snarly nastiness when in need of sustenance.

Speaking of sustenance, one of the delights of the US of A is a snack food called "Chex (Chix?) Mix" - it is the most wonderful savoury delightfully mouth watering crunchy food. AND I recently found little parcels in the shops that are called "Chex mix seasoning...." Oh baby.

I'm here for something also called March Madness. A basketball-based tournament. [I'm still trying to suss it out, but I think it's not the 'premiership level of basketball, but college level]. The built up for it reminds me of football (though it's fair to say the madness in that lasts for more than March). I'm keeping up with the antics of Man U - Fergie, Wenger, (oh I think is lovely), Jose (him too), et al. But I feel so far removed from a lot of it...

Umm. Really not much else to report - but wanted to give you this poem:

Extinction



Have you heard the cry of the curlew?

I tell you –

I would rather we lost

the entire contents

of every art gallery

in the whole world

than lose

forever

the cry of the curlew

~Alastair McIntosh [Jonny Bradshaw, I can never thank you enough for introducing me to his works] Here is his website Love and Revolution

5 Comments:

Blogger Jamie, Julie-Ann, Emily, Joel and Seth said...

Good to hear there is time for film watching! We are well, off to copy the bulletin this morning, Ruth told me last week that your office is a fabulous place to work, she is really appreciating the space.
2 new mums at parent and toddlers yesterday! The crocus' (croci??) are up and purple on the path at church, they look great.
Be well, happy and well nourished!
JA and Exxx

8:41 am  
Blogger Jonathan Bradshaw said...

I have no memory of introducing you to Alistair McIntosh, especially as I've never read any of his books myself. Still, I'm never one to turn down a compliment, so thanks. By the way, if you want some help with putting links in your sidebar, I'm your man. Email me at jonnyopinion@gmail.com I'm not sure what email address you're using these days.

9:21 am  
Blogger iulia and geordan said...

oh my dear! You have discovered one of the true joys of American Life. There is nothing in the world like March Madness! Its sort of the 'year end'college ball tourni- nothing quite like it in the premiership where there is no year-end tournament. The teams have all played many games to get to the tournament already. Am so jealous you are able to watch- we can only stream bits and pieces. It comes at a perfect time in the American Uni calendar year as we've just had spring break and the work load isn't too horrible. Uni kids and alums from all over the US get together for evenings/afternoons of pizza and basketball for an entire month! G is a KU fan, and I always root for Duke (love them blue devils). Now chex mix and March Madness- I truly am jealous! The thing about NCAA is that is so much more fast and tumultuous than NBA basketball. Its brilliant to see fresh talent come up as freshmen and play 4 years of college ball, and then you can follow them through to NBA! Don't get too hooked, you won't be able to help yourself! And March Madness is super time consuming!
i

9:38 am  
Blogger iulia and geordan said...

http://ncaasports.com/basketball/mens/brackets/viewable/2007

So you can print out the brackets and follow along!

i

ps- see you previous post for my response to your Q

9:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're missing the six nations too!

I get to see ChelseaVCity on Wednesday for free with school. Nice perk of the job!

5:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home