Thursday, March 01, 2007

Be like the fox...

Interesting Quote: “…civilisation inevitably corrupts because it fills us with inauthentic desires (which are also what propel the economies of the corrupt societies). These inauthentic desires are what cause the wish for luxury.” (Outram, Enlightenment, 54). I've been thinking quite a bit about the things we think we need. And, the things that we adjust to 'needing' without even being aware of it. In particular, I've been struck in my own life by the issues relating to space, privacy, food, transport, access to 'things', and how easy it is to take it all for granted.

Last week there was a large conference in Kansas City. You-who-watch-my-time-from-afar will be happy to know that I opted out of attending in favour of study. But, that hasn’t stopped me from hearing about it. Apparently one of the sermons in particular, provoked interest. A key leader’s sermon related to three challenges [the jury's out on whether she meant dangers, threats or other...] faced by the church. They are (wait for it) reform theology, Calvinism and the emergent church (you can see a particular clip on you tube, but I'm having a technophobic moment and can't remember how to make links...) might work and you can follow the links to find the whole sermon here.

Hmm.

Whatever happened to injustice? Consumerism? Or Individualism? Or apathy, lethargy and boredom? Whatever happened to anaemic Christians? Or the threat to the church of activism? Whatever happened to Racism? To.... well, fill in the blanks.


What did catch my attention, however, was that the emergent church should spark such an interest. Now, please realise, I am fully aware that she may not have meant exactly what most people mean by emergent [she is a rather gracious person, completely loves her grand-daughter, and is interesting to chat to] and perhaps, she did mean 'challenge' in a neutral sense. BUT it did cause me to wonder…

The emergent church [as researched] is a very different beast at the moment than the emergent church [as visited]. I have been interested in the clear difference between what is blogged, written, holy-gossiped (talked?) about, and so on. And also, in the enormous difference between the US/UK contexts. It seems to me clearer than ever that the alternative worship movement (often included in emergent) is NOT the same thing as the emergent-as-attended experience. Though it is more similar to the emergent-as-written-about experience. I don't know if that is particularly clear, but I wonder if it might be worth thinking about what churches are reacting TO, and where/what they are developing FROM. I also wonder about how much of what happens is about the process of 'creating' church as well as the process of attending a gathering called 'church.'

There is a ginormous thunder and lightening storm here just now. Hail, bright flashes, a tv station devoted to warnings of flash floods and tornadoes, I LOVE WEATHER. (I am true to my farming roots with that, I think.)

Been reading poetry at the moment: Alistair McIntosh, 'Love and Revolution'; brilliant. He is a revolutionary and agrees with che guevara that the best revolutionaries are inspired by love. Always.

Wendell Berry is another great poet: As with most poets, I don't agree with everything of course, but here's one for the road. [incidentally I encountered him through Eugene Peterson's Spiritual Readership].

Manifesto: The Mad Farmer Liberation Front


Love the quick profit, the annual raise,
vacation with pay. Want more
of everything ready-made. Be afraid
to know your neighbors and to die.

And you will have a window in your head.
Not even your future will be a mystery
any more. Your mind will be punched in a card
and shut away in a little drawer.

When they want you to buy something
they will call you. When they want you
to die for profit they will let you know.
So, friends, every day do something
that won't compute. Love the Lord.
Love the world. Work for nothing.
Take all that you have and be poor.
Love someone who does not deserve it.

Denounce the government and embrace
the flag. Hope to live in that free
republic for which it stands.
Give your approval to all you cannot
understand. Praise ignorance, for what man
has not encountered he has not destroyed.

Ask the questions that have no answers.
Invest in the millenium. Plant sequoias.
Say that your main crop is the forest
that you did not plant,
that you will not live to harvest.

Say that the leaves are harvested
when they have rotted into the mold.
Call that profit. Prophesy such returns.
Put your faith in the two inches of humus
that will build under the trees
every thousand years.

Listen to carrion -- put your ear
close, and hear the faint chattering
of the songs that are to come.
Expect the end of the world. Laugh.
Laughter is immeasurable. Be joyful
though you have considered all the facts.
So long as women do not go cheap
for power, please women more than men.

Ask yourself: Will this satisfy
a woman satisfied to bear a child?
Will this disturb the sleep
of a woman near to giving birth?

Go with your love to the fields.
Lie down in the shade. Rest your head
in her lap. Swear allegiance
to what is nighest your thoughts.

As soon as the generals and the politicos
can predict the motions of your mind,
lose it. Leave it as a sign
to mark the false trail, the way
you didn't go.

Be like the fox
who makes more tracks than necessary,
some in the wrong direction.
Practice resurrection.

Wendell Berry

And lastly, lastly: one of my good friends, a lovely man Chuck, has been coming to chapel to support me in preaching, he is so wonderful, and runs a youth centre that does amazing things. Today he introduced me to a lady called Angela, who (apart from all else she does) volunteers at a centre working with prostitutes. Very sad stories -the average age here for 'girls' to get involved/seduced into the streets - is 12. Dreadful. It makes me aware of the many needs that surround us. 12. That is TEN YEARS older than my/our oldest God-daughter. ELEVEN YEARS older than my/our next. My stomach turns at the thought. What world is this...? And yet, we're called to 'practice resurrection.'

5 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Bradshaw said...

I'm really glad you're blogging again.

6:23 pm  
Blogger Jamie, Julie-Ann, Emily, Joel and Seth said...

What a dreadful life those children must have being on the game at 12!
I tried to listen to Nina Gunter's sermon, the link worked but it was only a short snippet. I have been listening to yours online via the NTS website.
Hope you are well.
Love JA

8:13 pm  
Blogger Brian Postlewait said...

Deirdre, This is the first time on your blog, but it's great to find you online. Brian Postlewait here, btw.

I have been having very simiar conversation about Rev. Gunter on my blog please check in out.

I would like to follow up some with you about emerging church conversation and the difference between US/UK.

Peace,
Brian

3:24 pm  
Blogger Rainey said...

Calvinism a "recent" challenge!?

Is it just me or are evangelicals stuck in the 19th century?

11:41 pm  
Blogger Brian Postlewait said...

Deirdre,
Thanks for leaving a message on my blog, I don't have your e-mail address so as to write, but here is mine. cityofpeace@gmail.com

Peace,
Brian

7:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home