Friday, March 23, 2007

An aunty again, welcome to the world little Anna Jean...

That's a lovely way to wake up.

Here are some quotes used in the book I've been delving into. I've heard them all before, but they provoke thought. [incidentally, Roberto, i think that having good opinions and strong ones is helpful in conversation and life, when accompanied - as the mega quote said yesterday - by humilty and willingness to learn from The Other. For me personally, it's the latter that's the struggle...:-)]

“The unexamined life is not worth living.”
~Socrates

“The way not to grow old, and to stay young with advancing years, is to continue to learn.”
~Barth

“The mass of men [and women] lead lives of quiet desperation.”
~Thoreau

The last one has always bothered me. It seems qualitatively true, but is it? Most people's story seems to be filled with meaning.

1 Comments:

Blogger backgroundbob said...

I don't find the learning hard, it's the application :)

As for Thoreau (genius!) I think meaning and desperation aren't necessarily mutually exclusive; lives filled with love, companionship, good works, fond memories, grand dreams and so much more are just a subject to the whim of despair and depression and helplessness as those sunk in poverty and lonliness. As my psychology teacher once put it, "the boy who makes your trainers for 10 cents an hour may experience pure joy playing football in the street, and upper-middle class bankers can still commit suicide." Or something like that.

I also realised I'm an internet geek. I apologise for spamming your online life.

r

10:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home