Thursday, February 22, 2007

Snippets of Wesley

"Hell is paved with the souls of Christian Priests."

Hmm. Well, that is always the worry.

Today, Ash Wednesday, I went at noon to St Andrew's Episcopalian church, and was deeply moved by the penitential prayers, and the marking of Ash. We shared communion, and I felt very united with the others kneeling around me. I also felt that in many ways lent is to be a time for solitude, silence and prayer - but, here's the reality. I am rarely alone, and there is almost no silence here, and prayer is - rightly - a struggle. The abbas of the desert (of course) through Nouwen are speaking to me, but I am a often a bad listener. I have been trying also to think about my role/being as 'pastor' - time away has often been a time of immense struggle and painful growth - I seem to get more clarity, and I hope to this time also.... I have felt very much the need to reflect on the nature and shape of mission. And also to reconsider how God has/does speak to me. [I know that blogging isn't solitude incidentally, and I'll be signing off soon...]

Other things: whilst with my aunt the other night, painting her bedroom, we (unfortunately) watched a programme that she really loves: wife swap. Now, I know that this exists in the UK - don't get me wrong: but, a sophisticated urbanite was swopped with a farming, raw food only, brushing teeth with clay & rancid butter, and - when the woman was told as part of the 'new family's rules' that she had to shave her armpits, she had to use scissors to start with! EWW.

Today's news here: Anna Nicole Smith, 'the trial' and Blair removing some troops. A tragic blend. Also, if I hear another Hilary Clinton joke!!

Right. Going.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jamie, Julie-Ann, Emily, Joel and Seth said...

Greetings, I notice you have not mentioned the whole PHD thing.
How's it going?

5:33 pm  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Hi Deirdre!
Just found your re-kindled blog. Is Andrew still with you? I owe him a letter... you can tell him the Roman bread recipe he sent me is brilliant, and I've been making it a few times a week...

Grace & peace on entering the holy Lenten season!

Much love,
Matt & Krista
(who is very much looking forward to meeting all these lovely people I keep telling her about)

11:12 pm  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

While I'm here, I'm also remembering that your Grandpa Taylor planted the Church of the Nazarene in Trenton, Ontario, the town of my birth. I had a visit with him about it one rainy afternoon at NTC. This world is small, eh? And strangely vast at the same time.

11:17 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home