Saturday, February 24, 2007

Deirdre wins an honourable mention in the darwin awards...

Well - today's near-winner... Deirdre! first, you should know that this is all the fault of Henri Nouwen. His aforementioned cd finished, and i decided that i couldn't wait to hear the next one. So... I pushed the eject, took out the cd (and here, ladies and gentlemen is where it gets ugly), I put the cd in my mouth, a good place to hold a cd. Then, oops, dropped the second cd. And, bending over to pick up the elusive disc I firmly bumped into the steering wheel with, yes, the cd gripped between my lips. Then, predictibly, the thin shard of plastic sliced Deirdre's mouth - on both sides. Much blood, and great pain. No car accident, however, for which I am thankful. I was howling with laughter - which probably looked rather funny to the people on either side of me, since blood was dripping slowly down my chin and my lips were now in line with my nose...

Today is Saturday, and I am about to get reading. Today's delight, a PhD on Wesley...

Last night my aunt and a friend of hers attempted to corrupt me by taking me to a comedy club. It was not particularly comic, but was indeed a club. Actually, I like to think that if it had been only Andrew and me, we would have left. It was foul. Foul-mouthed, foul-jokes, and much smoke. I actually was really saddened by it: sex (all manner, nature and kinds), drugs (pot was hailed as 'the people's friend' which anyone who has worked in Longsight/Gorton/Blackley knows is actually 'the people's oppressor'), and the '7.99 for all you can drink bud' was extolled as a great thing. Which, although I am [slightly] more liberal than many nazos, there is nothing I find attractive/compelling/thrilling/sophisticated about drunkenness. Anyway, I suppose that I sound really prudish, but in actual fact - it was a travesty of humour. I think one aspect that also stood out to me was that two of the four comedians said at the end of their act 'God bless you'... what does that mean? Is it a common farewell? It just seemed so inconcruous.

Let's see - anything else of note? No. I'll leave you with a quote from a father: "I have often repented of having spoken, never of keeping my silence.'

I have been thinking about that in the light of Mark P's blog - and I wondered if silent protest might be very highly affective in our culture. So many words - everywhere words - what if we went on a mass march and said nothing... symbolising all the devaluing of words that happens amongst politicians, 'peace, peace they cry...'

Anyway, just a thought...

3 Comments:

Blogger Jamie, Julie-Ann, Emily, Joel and Seth said...

Oh dear! Does that mean the cd is broken? I have had paper cuts on my lip or mouth and they really hurt so I can only imagine how sore your mouth is feeling!
I would be rubbish at the whole silence thing (as I am sure you know) so I will have to fill the silence with my ramblings and words.
I don't go to comedy shows as I have a very narrow sense of humour!! I find the Simpsons hard to bear!

Well I am going to stop blogging as you are on the phone. (What a coincidence!)

10:26 pm  
Blogger backgroundbob said...

"First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me."

I have often repented of keeping silent. But I don't think there is any absolutely right rule on it; circumstances change.

I'm sorry about your mouth :) I managed to lock myself in the church during the 24/7 prayer and not be able to open it, so I'll claim a prize somewhere down the line... it was a good night, however.

Hope you're well!

r

2:41 pm  
Blogger Pete said...

Hi D! You know, I was doing something very similar at the wheel right before my recent accident! There was no blood though, bonus.

12:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home