Friday, February 23, 2007

The abbas speak through Nouwen

On the drive to and from HQ I have been listening to Henri Nouwen cds - they were a gift from Longsight before I left, and whoever chose them was Holy-Spirit inspired. The first one (which I'm listening to again) is dealing with the ministry and the ministry-as-resistance-to-the-squeeze-of-this-world: it is deeply difficult to listen to, and the idea of solitude which he is pondering is enormously confrontational. Shaping. Terrible. It is based on St. Anthony's way of - Flee (solitude), be silent, pray always.

I am sitting in my Grandpa's living room - with grandmalou pottering away in the kitchen. She keeps trying to feed me. And grandpa has Fox news on, quite loud, though when anything he disagrees with comes on, he turns it down... Of course, since usually we have quite varying views, that is often quite funny! I am really enjoying living with them - they are lovely to watch - love in the eighth decade of life is real love. They laugh a lot (!) and grandpa has taken to some new ways. For example: he is coming to THE CINEMA with us tomorrow night [ok, so we're watching Amazing Grace, on the recommendation of the pastor, but still...].

As per the PhD request: I've been reading. "Men and Manners in the Eighteenth Century" (thrilling isn't it?), and "John Wesley and the Church of England" again, and arguing - sorry, 'conversing'- with various Emergent-types. What I think so far, is that there is nothing new under the sun. The more I know of any century, the more you see things again and again... There are a couple of PhD theses here that I am going to try and read before next Wednesday (when they're due back) so watch this space.

Today I met up for lunch (don't worry, that's allowed) with two very old (as in long-standing) friends: Monte Cyr, and Mark Holcomb - they both asked me if I missed NYI - and I think that's another whole blog.

So, things I miss today:
Andrew.
My own bed.
A range of socks. I only brought one and a half week's worth. Bad idea.
Friends.
Our Wednesday group.
Unsweetened anything.

Things I want to do: walk outside. drive without getting confused between North and East [I somehow can't get away from thinking of North as 'up' and that if I am facing forward, I am up, and therefore North. hmm. not ideal]. Listen to some news that relates to outside of KC (Geordan, know any stations I can tune into?). Sleep. Watch Little Miss Sunshine again.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jamie, Julie-Ann, Emily, Joel and Seth said...

Good to hear that the PHD thing is back on the agenda and that you are well. We watched Little Miss Sunshine the other night and smiled. I felt really sorry for her; my sympathies took over and I probably missed the humour because of it.(As usual too much sympathy from me!)
Do you need us to send you socks and savoury stuff? I suppose books were more important that a wide range of socks!
Enjoy your day
JA and Exxxxx

7:28 am  
Blogger iulia and geordan said...

KC is not the best place to be in touch with international news as you've discovered. National Public Radio is the best I can think of (89.3FM) they often carry interesting debates although it is US focused in the same way the BBC is UK focused. 'The World' programme from 7-8pm covers international news. BBC World Service comes on from midnight if you are up late. See their schedule at: http://www.kcur.org/
Also, Jacob's Well is the 'emergent church' in midtown KC. If you go there, ask if John Raux is there (a good friend of mine).
-G

12:04 pm  
Blogger backgroundbob said...

Your [ash] wednesday group missed/s you as well. Come back soon.

2:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home