Monday, April 10, 2006

The eyes have it

So - the last week (I think it has only been that long) has been one of unmitigated misery in one-half of the b-l household. My poor eye - which began to swell into an unrecognisable prize-fighterish looking state - had an allergic reaction all on its own. After which (in the words of the doctor)a mercenary-like infection 'leapt in the back of it' and has made my life blurry. To say the least. Anyway, a round of antibiotics later (Thank God for all that) and I am nearly back to normal. I can tell you this though: I have never been more aware of how eye-dependent I am. From looking at people, gesturing, making wordless, but eye-full, comments. Reading, cutting, writing, typing, watching... it is amazing how often I/we use my/our eyes. The windows of the soul indeed.

So - I've read little, watched nothing, tried to use the enforced discipline to think, pray, sleep, and discovered all over again at how bad I am at any of those things, so... it's all very cheery!

I won't write much more, in brief though:
We miss Esther and Eifion already
Our god-children are experiencing their first out-of-the-womb Holy Week.
Andrew is working as hard as ever
Kids club at church pulled in a whole new crowd of kids
our church board retreat has left me/us with plenty to chew on...
A ships' wheel is called a helm. Really?

2 Comments:

Blogger iulia and geordan said...

G said your eye still wasn't completely normal. Can't say I'm surprised after the severity of the initial reaction. Sorry about today. I miss you. Lets 'coffee' soon.
i

9:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it seems that the whole area around the ship's wheel is the helm, and can sometimes be shortened to just the wheel. that was our suspicion, and internet research confirmed it, although we can't say we're 100% satisfied, as everyone we mention it to doubts it, so it's still 3/4 a mystery maybe. "take the helm hornblower" was how i thought it was definitely the helm.

9:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home