Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Life in motion

I've just eaten the most wonderful blood orange, which made me realise how much I miss taste.

Andrew and I have been reading the book Shopped, by Joanna Blythman, it is as Andrew says: 'life-changing, an expose [sorry about no accent, I don't know how to do it]of the systematic evil that supermarkets are. They destroy British food culture, destroy species, all the while pulling the wool over people's eyes, persuading them that they are help-ful, time saving and healthy businesses that care about their customers, suppliers and the community, when in fact they prostrate themselves before the God of mammon like servile sycophants.' So, the curse of employment continues.

Apart from that: in meetings, not PhDing well, reading Fergal Keane's Letter to Daniel, and counting down to the Sigur Ros concert... shopped in Unicorn, and... got a piano (not in Unicorn, they only sell food...)!! Wonderful.

Last night we had a really encouraging conversation with some friends from Church, about fellowhship,intimacy and community. They feel that they are closer now to people than they were before, that barriers are transcended, and that they are able to minister to others - which was good. It was a challenge to my perspective (always necessary). I've been wrestling a lot like that recently though. The sense of needed to be moving forward, to be rejoicing in others gifts, to be celebrating the diversity of our community, to be willing to be less, that others can be more, is a constant tussel for me. And I grow in my admiration of humble saints more and more...

A last thought is that we are constantly grappling right now with the issues people face in our community and in Britain. We're short-term housing a new lady - who at seven months pregnant has been made destitute. Who was it who says that you can tell a lot about a culture by the way they treat their elderly? I'd add, their vulnerable. It makes my blood boil. Then again, there are others around that we see - often - who are 'playing the system' which equally frustrates me. So... the questions of life continue.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jamie, Julie-Ann, Emily, Joel and Seth said...

Look forward to hearing that piano. Tim is looking for a pianist for his worship group!!
J

8:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i keep on saying, asda fish is dolphin friendly! That was my aisle so i had to see it in my face every night. So now when someone says asda is unethical, the monotony of opening cardboard boxes in artifical lighting all night, combined with the constant bombardment of "asda fish is dolphin friendly", I can't help saying "asda fish is dolphin friendly". From saying it and seeing it so much I think I now believe it.

6:10 pm  
Blogger erdreid said...

I know what you mean - however, there are a lot of local shops around us with "ugly food"... and, I also guess that the more who buy it- however left they are may eventually help the market (no pun intended) to give more consideration to fresh & tasty food. The other thing is this: cooking. Recently had a family shop for someone who spent £300.00 mostly on microwave 'ready meals' - with that same three hundred they could have had fresh meals (albeit non-organic) for at least the same amount of time. Anyway, I agree that it is a challenge. Maybe think about the seasons as a discipline? After the 'dry season' there will be fruit a plenty - and, you'll be delighted at its taste.

4:41 pm  
Blogger Jonny Rotheram said...

When I lived in Longsight I always went to the 'Indian' groceries the ones with fruit baskets flowing over onto the pavement. They were very cheap, but surprisingly good.

I hate it when I walk into a supermarket and someone asks me how I am. Soul less.

Jonny

7:34 pm  
Blogger Jonny Rotheram said...

tum tum taa taa tum tum - This is my diet rhythm.

7:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home