Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Bits and pieces of redemption

Part 1
This week is an experiment at church - open 24 hours a day, 7 days of the week for prayer & reflection, in conjunction with Peace week. It has been little pieces of redemption that stand out, I think. One of our church members who has been struggling a lot with addiction volunteering to stay all the time, and staggered when we said yes. The indefatigible Tommy, hauling up and making coffee. The young people popping in to pray, taking candles and sitting still - and silent - for several minutes... (though they then tried to nick them!). And that was just day one. I've often lamented that churches lost their sanctuary status - and their door-open status. Partly because once when I was quite ill with depression, I was in the Lake District, and wandered into an open and empty church. I feel asleep on one of the pews for hours, and woke refreshed, and, I think, whole again.

Part 2
Our poinsetta (which we've nurtured along since Christmas a couple (?) of years ago - The Hendricks brought us this lovely little plant) is now over a foot tall, and is flowering! It is wonderful to see its red leaves appear.

Part 3
Andrew and I went to see Tsotsi If you haven't seen it- you should! It is a wonderful & powerful film. (It made me laugh when we went to get the tickets, since the lady serving asked us several times if we realised it was "a foreign film with subtitles". I imagined people walking out in a huff...) What an evocative film.


And lastly, the assembly. I survived. Partly because I sat at the back and made doves on the first day. Then, on the second day I was more than entertained by a combination of old friends and a lot of ideas that kept popping into my head about ways to do things differently. (Now, Rev. x, present your report in the style of... would liven things up a bit, or - Now, Rev. x, tell us the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, or - well, you get the picture).

Et, c'est ca.

1 Comments:

Blogger iulia and geordan said...

Have not read one on grace, if you have it, may I borrow it? After i get to the about 10 books I want to borrow from Andrew. Wish I could have heard the running commentary at assembly. Sort of like the ones you do OUT LOUD during films? :)Speaking of which, the directors of 'Bring it On' have a new one out about gymnastics called "Stick It", now THAT is one I'd like to hear the running commentary to! Can see preview on itunes. Coffee sometime?
i

11:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home