Tuesday, February 21, 2006

publicly 'naked' :-)

Well, today I had the real version of those dreams where you are in your class teaching naked. Though fully clothed (phew!) I arrived this morning blissfully aware that Geordan was teaching... only to be disabused of the notion at twenty-to nine... when the class starts at quarter to!! Yikes. Nightmare. Quick run across, printed off old notes, ran back to teach - LIKE A WAKING BAD DREAM!! Pretty hilarious though!

Been reading Julian Barnes' latest - Arthur and George. I am a fan, and this is so well written I can sense the doom approaching - quite thought provoking really - about assumptions of 'place' and how you fit in (or not). This subject has come up quite often of late - partly because of the contrast between being a british citizen (which I am), having a strange accent (also true) and never knowing quite where you belong. I think that may be a common experience - even for those whose cultural identity if more solid, but it can be disconcerting to realise - all over again - that acceptance is only so deep. I actually find that in some places being 'not english' gives me an entry point - and the almost sub-concious adjustment of my accent is quite revealing (I realise that more and more)... so I sound queen like in the US, half-british in a lot of countries, and quite Canadian on the Newbank estate in Longsight.

Yesterday it was bitter out, and Lynn and I were trawling the estate for our feasability study... (so far demonstating exactly what we knew - there is a need to care for children, teens are ignored, and adults are scared). While there though I had the pleasure of seeing on of our 'lads'. Does anyone remember Kyle? He's just 'out' and trying to 'sort himself out' - his brother and their friend are still inside - Kyle has always been lovely [to us] - and was one of the 'baker boys' - cornflake pie and custard. I did the study with him, and he told me that 'the lads need something, you know, something to keep them out of trouble.' It was such a joy to see him - I think that God willing, Kyle could one day be a minister. I hope for him.

6 Comments:

Blogger iulia and geordan said...

For your information- I liked his music before I had any idea what he looked like. And he's SO not my type - you know that. Entirely too effeminate for my tastes. Thats really encouraging about Kyle.
i

12:58 pm  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

I'm sure it was a brilliant lecture nonetheless.

4:05 pm  
Blogger steve tamburello said...

i have a julien barnes book (love etc) that i bought cheap off a library but i've never been sure whether to read it or not. i only bought it cause i remember a friend reading 'the history os the world in 12 &1/2 chapters' or something like that. so the question is should i take it off my bookshelf and read it?

do we remember kyle? how could we not.

9:43 pm  
Blogger iulia and geordan said...

yes. lets get coffee. and will you PLEASE stop telling people about the desperate housewives quiz?!! it was supposed to be our little secret.
i

5:11 pm  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Steve... that's hilarious... I too have that same book and have not yet read it.

5:19 pm  
Blogger Jonny Rotheram said...

that is funny............

7:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home