Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Socrates is dead

Which is very sad news indeed. He is survived by Mo. Such is the way of all things, we are like grass that withers and dies.

I've had him for five years, and he has, no doubt shortened his life by falling off the counter once, (although we caught him before he hit the floor) and also by jumping out of a cup once. Still, I am quite sad.

Apart from that, I've just finished a most wonderful book, called "Compassion and Community" written by Illtyd Barrie Thomas (most of us call him Barrie). It is amazing how God plants a call in people's hearts, and then works by grace within them. So... the idea of care and acceptance keep rattling around in my brain. (almost said braid there, but since I don't have one that would be hard.) I've also started reading The New Rulers of The World -and am discovering (as Andrew has before me) that every page makes you mad. Not one to read at bedtime.

I've been on a book-ordering fest - for the library at NTC. What a great job! Heaps of books that can influence and mould, challenge and form lives.

Andrew and I also had some really good - though conclusionless - (not really inconclusive) conversations about the power of God - and passion for him. How do we see God's power at work, and how do people who are believers reveal the Glory of the Lord? We're inclined to think that it is often in the small ways, but sometimes we crave epiphany and advent... which I suppose are both great and small, revelation and mystery.

house update

The plasterer is in, though in the way of all things Brower Latz, he has dropped his chisel and broken the toilet cistern. Apparently the plumber has also come, and will do his best to sort us out. Though he also explained that the ceiling leak is from the bath waste-water which, when it drips runs towards the light fittings of the kitchen. Does that make sense to anyone?? Why would water run towards the very thing that makes it most dangerous? I don't get it. Okay, all for now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jamie, Julie-Ann, Emily, Joel and Seth said...

I really hope the house situation eases. Hopefully by the end of the week all of the workmen should have finished leaving you in a more comfortable bathroom! I'm sure you're just looking forward to being able to decorate it.
J

12:27 pm  
Blogger hendricks said...

Good update D. Interesting thought on the power of god and the revelation of his glory - we have a two-meeting old small group thing going, and so far our advent discussions have mostly centred on the hiddenness of God in the nativity. But you're right, I do also 'crave epiphany'.
Good luck with the rest of the house prep - I'm sure you'll have a great space to enjoy once its all done...
Greg

3:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home