Friday, October 07, 2005

public?! Oh my...

Well, now that this is more public, i am blushing... it was more of an experiment. However, i suppose i'll persevere. the book Soil and Soul is, i guess an ecofeminist, political book, that looks at so many issues it is hard to pin down. i really enjoyed it, though it made me think - and, i think i mentioned earlier that sometimes that unleashes a lot of different emotion. One chapter, called the womanhood of God led APBL and me into huge discussions about metaphors for God. I feel perfectly happy refering to God as like a mother, chick, wise-woman etc... but not at all as comfortable at calling God she. I can't decide why though.

apart from that, today has been early - team meeting - we talked about sabbath. it's my month to lead our devotions, and I've been really challenged by the hebrew concept of "day" - which begins in the evening and carries on into sunlight... and throughout the next hours to sundown. it seems healthy, since it makes the onus for life God's. While i sleep, God is active. i am healed. rested. refreshed. and in the morning, when I wake upm, i enter into what God is already doing... the slip-stream, if you like, of God's action. Quite thought-provoking, and reassuring. There is also a whole section dealing with the "bastard sabbath" which is, what we call the "day off." The author objects to that because he thinks that we use 'days off' as utilitarian. (I do this so that I'll be able to work more...) which really abuses the whole concept. I need to think on it, but I think i'll try and weave it into our lives.

incidentally, we've been religiously climbing three times a week, which has been great. yesterday i climbed a series of 5++, which for me was FANTASTIC and so fulfilling! The problem is that my forearms are now too big for most of my dress shirts (don't worry, i don't yet look quite like popeye... but's it is a danger). I think it is my brower genes, but I bulk up fairly easily...

Other random things
ugly past fact
reading for my phd - in the journal of eigtheenth century studies. the only reason men were prosecuted for rape in the 1800s was because the woman lost 'market' value. nice.
good past literature
reading Seneca On the Shortness of Life. unbelievably interesting & clever.
house move truth
nearly had heart-failure last night when the Seller of our hopefully-new-house said that they had changed plans and were no longer going to australia... however, am signing the contract this afternoon so, cross every part of your bodies for us!

right. that's all for now folks

4 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Hi there Deirdre,

I was out for lunch with Greg the other day and he mentioned he was talking with you.... and then I just found your web-log from Browler. So good to see. I've been conversing a bit with Derek about the strangeness of blogging. I've been doing this since summertime. It sort of reminds me of an interminable (in a good way) family Christmas letter. Anyway, it's been great to get in touch with friends new and old.

Hoping all goes well with the purchase of the house!

Peace to you and Andy (who I'm still looking foward to meeting...)

PS - that book on soul & soil looks interesting. I guess it just goes to show that you can take the girl out of rural Alberta, but you can't take the soil out of the soul. I've just been asked to review another eco-theological sort of book called "On Earth as it is in Heaven" by a famous Chinese sustainable agriculture-expert/theologian, Dr. Wee Chong Tan. Should be fun.

10:51 pm  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Deirdre, can I put you as a link on our site?

10:59 pm  
Blogger erdreid said...

Hi Matthew, how lovely to hear from you like this... you are a gem! I guess that you can put me on the site.. i am a little shy.
It is really odd isn't it, being in touch this way. -but you are right too, there is a completeness to it.

Andrew is lovely -and feels like he knows you already since so many of us talk about you!!
The book is GREAT Matt, you should read it, really...

And, thanks for writing!

8:22 pm  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Cool, I'm going to search for that book... Thanks!

5:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home