Friday, October 14, 2005

opportunities don't always knock

Well, yesterday is over. That's good. I was low, low, low (as REM would say. Today however is a Macey Gray day. She cheers me up.

I coached football this morning (for those who know me, smile now). It was really fun. I had 12 children, aged 10, and it reminded me of when my brother used to play ice-hockey as a little boy. No! Wrong Way... No, don't ALL follow the ball... Keeper, why are you up the post????? Hilarious. I love Friday mornings when this is my lot. It reminds me of hope I suppose.

This week I had a PhD supervision meeting - yikes. I have about 1500 words a week to write for the next few - feel free to ask me about it. I need shame as a motivator!! It is funny, but I am concious every day of the privilege it is to be able to study. To have studying funded. To be able to read, and write. To be able to have conversations with people as equals. It seems a slog, but, not many people have the opportunity. A lot of people in our congregation remind me to be thankful, every day, for the sheer options that I/we have. It struck me all over again this week when I was talking to a "job-seeker" who can not find a job, is not given a chance, does not hold out any hope, and so has NO options, no money, no recreation, no life, bar stolen/borrowed/'i'll pay you back' weed & TV. Supplied by different corporations every time they are cut off...

Less than a month to go before we move house. Funny, if you've seen the v.good film howl's moving castle (really good children's books JA,by Dianne Wynne Jones, I'm a new fan, god-children look out) it INVADED my dreams last night - and I was looking for our house everywhere. I ended up in the outer hebrides. maybe there's a wish in there somewhere?

Okay, just waffling now. Tomorrow is one of my most dreaded days. Graduation. Every year it steals time, and every year my hat (publicly) falls off. Argh.

And finally, I had to get my sermon ready for Sunday - and the preparation really spoke to me (The Lord heard my prayers). 1 Thessalonians 1: 1-10 if you're interested. Enduring in love. nice one.

5 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Francis said...

So what's the title of your thesis?

3:22 pm  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

keeping in mind my previous comment and the fact that I probably shouldn't offer too many clever distractions, I think you'd appreciate this site over here, done by a student from Princeton Seminary, called pomomusings...

3:29 pm  
Blogger erdreid said...

Hey matt, yep, good site indeed.

The thesis working title: The Theology of Wesley, the emergent church and the urban poor. :-)

12:58 pm  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

I can foresee three beautifully constructed long chapters.

Here's a question for you: to what degree is the emergent church movement today related historically to the events and historical/phiolospical currents surrounding the birth of Methodism?

3:25 pm  
Blogger Matthew Francis said...

Ahem... "philosphical."

3:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home