Tuesday, October 25, 2005

"Life after Life after death"

So, our lives this week are arranged around the Didsbury Lectures and the Right Good honourable your grace Dr. N.T. "Bishop Tom" Wright. (I prefer Mister Tom, more human). The man has a huge brain... and lectured really well for an hour, without saying Um once. His topic which tackled death and beyond is actually quite a moving one - and for Christians is something we probably are quite woolly about - but my, he was good. Andrew - who loves Bishop Tom unreservedly - was rapt, and even asked a question. (I've never yet had the nerve -though I think of a lot!).

I was really moved partly because he maintains that who we are NOW and what we do in the body MATTERS... (an answer to my questions about weed, greed and mis-deed?) and, indeed, that Christians should care more for the world on the basis of God's Justice and His love of His creation. Nothing that I didn't already know... but certainly something that it is good to be reminded of.

the big move
the move (if it happens) is only 17 days away. Yikes. People keep saying that I need to make sure I don't forget to pack! Since my prevailing model of getting ready to go anywhere has been to pack the night before, I think that what they really mean is we need to start packing SOON....

it will have to wait for us to have jaunted all over (with our friends from California who come this weekend - we are SO excited! Chester, York, the dales, here we come!)... and then for my birthday-trip to Pisa Thanks my love!! THEN, when feet are firmly on the ground, we'll begin to sort/box-up/rearrange/give-away.

So - apart from that I've still been reading Said's Cultural Imperialism It's slow reading (I've been re-reading my Louis L'Amour collection, and after that, anything that engages brain cells is slow-going!!) but really fascinating - and something called 'Church Next.' (which doesn't mean everyone who wears clothes from Next, though you could be forgiven for thinking so from its very au currant book cover. Don't judge a book and all that...

Right, going to teach, perchance to dream...

1 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Francis said...

So wish I could be there for those lectures! I've heard him in Vancouver, and, also there in Manchester... sounds excellent.

All of it!

Have a great time in Pisa!

3:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home